I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- He is the best sailor who can steer within fewest points of the wind, and exact a motive power out of the greatest obstacles.
- If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
- Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.
- If a man constantly aspires is he not elevated?
- A broad margin of leisure is as beautiful in a man’s life as in a book. Haste makes waste, no less in life than in housekeeping. Keep the time, observe the hours of the universe, not of the cars. What are threescore years and ten hurriedly and coarsely lived to moments of divine leisure in which your life is coincident with the life of the universe?
- How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book! The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered.