In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
- You gave him an opportunity of showing greatness of character and he did not seize it. He will never forgive you for that.
- The desire to create continually is vulgar and betrays jealousy, envy, ambition. If one is something one really does not need to make anything –and one nonetheless does very much. There exists above the productive man a yet higher species.
- As regards the celebrated struggle for life, it seems to me for the present to have been rather asserted than proved. It does occur, but as the exception; the general aspect of life is not hunger and distress, but rather wealth, luxury, even absurd prodigality — where there is a struggle it is a struggle for power.
- Not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, does the enlightened man dislike to wade into its waters.
- Nothing is beautiful, only man: on this piece of naivete rests all aesthetics, it is the first truth of aesthetics. Let us immediately add its second: nothing is ugly but degenerate man — the domain of aesthetic judgment is therewith defined.