Players, Sir! I look on them as no better than creatures set upon tables and joint stools to make faces and produce laughter, like dancing dogs.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Sir, I do not call a gamester a dishonest man; but I call him an unsociable man, an unprofitable man. Gaming is a mode of transferring property without producing any intermediate good.
- Sir, he was dull in company, dull in his closet, dull everywhere. He was dull in a new way, and that made many people think him great.
- Never, my dear Sir, do you take it into your head that I do not love you; you may settle yourself in full confidence both of my love and my esteem; I love you as a kind man, I value you as a worthy man, and hope in time to reverence you as a man of exemplary piety.
- What provokes your risibility, Sir? Have I said anything that you understand? Then I ask pardon of the rest of the company.
- Why, Sir, most schemes of political improvement are very laughable things.
- Sir, a man who cannot get to heaven in a green coat, will not find his way thither the sooner in a gray one.