I’m disappointed in acting as a craft. I want everything to go back to Orson Welles and fake noses and changing your voice. It’s become so much about personality.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I’m not handsome in the classical sense. The eyes droop, the mouth is crooked, the teeth aren’t straight, the voice sounds like a Mafioso pallbearer, but somehow it all works.
- Some scenes you juggle two balls, some scenes you juggle three balls, some scenes you can juggle five balls. The key is always to speak in your own voice. Speak the truth. That’s Acting 101. Then you start putting layers on top of that. [On his acting techniques]
- Acting is a question of absorbing other people’s personalities and adding some of your own experience.
- Talk to them about things they don’t know. Try to give them an inferiority complex. If the actress is beautiful, screw her. If she isn’t, present her with a valuable painting she will not understand. If they insist on being boring, kick their asses or twist their noses. And that’s about all there is to it.
- One forgets too easily the difference between a man and his image, and that there is none between the sound of his voice on the screen and in real life.
- I’m an assistant storyteller. It’s like being a waiter or a gas-station attendant, but I’m waiting on six million people a week, if I’m lucky. [On being an actor]