While we look to the dramatist to give romance to realism, we ask of the actor to give realism to romance.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The mere mechanical technique of acting can be taught, but the spirit that is to give life to lifeless forms must be born in a man. No dramatic college can teach its pupils to think or to feel. It is Nature who makes our artists for us, though it may be Art who taught them their right mode of expression.
- I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
- Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
- I hate vulgar realism in literature. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for.
- Nothing spoils a romance so much as a sense of humor in the woman.
- Men always want to be a woman’s first love. Women have a more subtle instinct: What they like is to be a man’s last romance.