While we look to the dramatist to give romance to realism, we ask of the actor to give realism to romance.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
- I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
- The mere mechanical technique of acting can be taught, but the spirit that is to give life to lifeless forms must be born in a man. No dramatic college can teach its pupils to think or to feel. It is Nature who makes our artists for us, though it may be Art who taught them their right mode of expression.
- I hate vulgar realism in literature. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for.
- Twenty years of romance make a woman look like a ruin, but twenty years of marriage make her something like a public building.
- When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one’s self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.