Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The mere mechanical technique of acting can be taught, but the spirit that is to give life to lifeless forms must be born in a man. No dramatic college can teach its pupils to think or to feel. It is Nature who makes our artists for us, though it may be Art who taught them their right mode of expression.
- While we look to the dramatist to give romance to realism, we ask of the actor to give realism to romance.
- I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
- Talk to a woman as if you loved her, and to a man as if he bored you.
- It is a sad truth, but we have lost the faculty of giving lovely names to things. Names are everything. I never quarrel with actions. My one quarrel is with words. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for.
- Talk to every woman as if you loved her, and to every man as if he bored you, and at the end of your first season you will have the reputation of possessing the most perfect social tact.