I would there were no age between ten and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest; for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the anciently, stealing, fighting.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- A man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age.
- I have lived long enough. My way of life is to fall into the sere, the yellow leaf, and that which should accompany old age, as honor, love, obedience, troops of friends I must not look to have.
- Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you — tripping on the tongue; but if you mouth it, as many of your players do, I had as Leif the town-crier spoke my lines. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand, thus, but use all gently; for in the very torrent, tempest, and as I may say, the whirlwind of your passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness.
- Action is eloquence.
- Suit the action to the world, the world to the action, with this special observance, that you overstep not the modesty of nature.
- A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.