Constant success shows us but one side of the world; adversity brings out the reverse of the picture.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There are three modes of bearing the ills of life, by indifference, by philosophy, and by religion.
- The greatest friend of truth is Time, her greatest enemy is Prejudice, and her constant companion is Humility.
- Friendship, of itself a holy tie, is made more sacred by adversity.
- The two most precious things this side of the grave are our reputation and our life. But it is to be lamented that the most contemptible whisper may deprive us of the one, and the weakest weapon of the other.
- Commerce flourishes by circumstances, precarious, transitory, contingent, almost as the winds and waves that bring it to our shores.
- The intoxication of anger, like that of the grape, shows us to others, but hides us from ourselves.