Prosperity is no just scale; adversity is the only balance to weigh friends.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Those who aim at great deeds must also suffer greatly.
- Nothing is harder to direct than a man in prosperity; nothing more easily managed that one is adversity.
- When the strong box contains no more both friends and flatterers shun the door.
- A Roman divorced from his wife, being highly blamed by his friends, who demanded, Was she not chaste? Was she not fair? Was she not fruitful? holding out his shoe, asked them whether it was not new and well made. Yet, added he, none of you can tell where it pinches me.
- In words are seen the state of mind and character and disposition of the speaker.
- Distressed valor challenges great respect, even from an enemy.