Every man has a rainy corner of his life whence comes foul weather which follows him.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Like a morning dream, life becomes more and more bright the longer we live, and the reason of everything appears more clear. What has puzzled us before seems less mysterious, and the crooked paths look straighter as we approach the end.
- True, what you sacrifice for the world is but poorly recognized by it; for it is man that rules and reaps the harvest; the thousand night watches and sacrifices by which a mother secures the state a hero or a poet are forgotten, not even mentioned, for the mother herself does not mention them, and so one century after another do the wives, unknown and unrewarded send forth the arrows, the starts the storm-birds and the nightingales of time.
- A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another s.
- Gray hairs seem to my fancy like the soft light of the moon, silvering over the evening of life.
- I have made as much out of myself as could be made of the stuff, and no man should require more.
- Never write on a subject until you have read yourself full of it.