Affectation is a very good word when someone does not wish to confess to what he would none the less like to believe of himself.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- A vacuum of ideas affects people differently than a vacuum of air, otherwise readers of books would be constantly collapsing.
- As I take up my pen I feel myself so full, so equal to my subject, and see my book so clearly before me in embryo, I would almost like to try to say it all in a single word.
- As the few adepts in such things well know, universal morality is to be found in little everyday penny-events just as much as in great ones. There is so much goodness and ingenuity in a raindrop that an apothecary wouldn’t let it go for less than half-a-crown…
- A good metaphor is something even the police should keep an eye on.
- A clever child brought up with a foolish one can itself become foolish. Man is so perfectible and corruptible he can become a fool through good sense.
- Once the good man was dead, one wore his hat and another his sword as he had worn them, a third had himself barbered as he had, a fourth walked as he did, but the honest man that he was — nobody any longer wanted to be that.