Caresses, expressions of one sort or another, are necessary to the life of the affections as leaves are to the life of a tree. If they are wholly restrained, love will die at the roots.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for, whether in the daily battle of life, or in physical contests.
- Nobody, I think, ought to read poetry, or look at pictures or statues, who cannot find a great deal more in them than the poet or artist has actually expressed. Their highest merit is suggestiveness.
- I wonder that we Americans love our country at all, it having no limits and no oneness; and when you try to make it a matter of the heart, everything falls away except one’s native State; –neither can you seize hold of that, unless you tear it out of the Union, bleeding and quivering.
- Selfishness is one of the qualities apt to inspire love.
- Our Creator would never have made such lovely days, and have given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above and beyond all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal.
- Life is made up of marble and mud.