Old age is an insult. It’s like being smacked.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Everyone loathes his own country and countrymen if he is any sort of artist.
- It’s only with great vulgarity that you can achieve real refinement, only out of bawdy that you can get tenderness.
- A woman’s best love letters are always written to the man she is betraying.
- Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will –whatever we may think.
- It’s unthinkable not to love –you’d have a severe nervous breakdown. Or you’d have to be Philip Larkin.
- Now stiff on a pillar with a phallic air nelson stylites in Trafalgar square reminds the British what once they were.