A person is always startled when he hears himself called old for the first time.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Age, like distance lends a double charm.
- To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old.
- What a comfort a dull but kindly person is, to be sure, at times! A ground-glass shade over a gas-lamp does not bring more solace to our dazzled eyes than such a one to our minds.
- Speak not too well of one who scarce will know himself transfigured in its roseate glow; Say kindly of him what is, chiefly, true, remembering always he belongs to you; Deal with him as a truant, if you will, But claim him, keep him, call him brother still!
- Don’t flatter yourself that friendship authorizes you to say disagreeable things to your intimates. The nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become.
- Every calling is great when greatly pursued.