I’m only a beer teetotaler, not a champagne teetotaler.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Most Americans are born drunk, and really require a little wine or beer to sober them. They have a sort of permanent intoxication from within, a sort of invisible champagne. Americans do not need to drink to inspire them to do anything, though they do sometimes, I think, need a little for the deeper and more delicate purpose of teaching them how to do nothing.
- I’m not a teacher: only a fellow-traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead — ahead of myself as well as you.
- I’m an atheist and I thank God for it.
- The only way for a woman to provide for herself decently is for her to be good to some man that can afford to be good to her.
- You must not suppose, because I am a man of letters, that I never tried to earn an honest living.
- A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.