In Boston they ask, How much does he know? In New York, How much is he worth? In Philadelphia, Who were his parents?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Being blunt with your feelings is very American. In this big country, I can be as brash as New York, as hedonistic as Los Angeles, as sensuous as San Francisco, as brainy as Boston, as proper as Philadelphia, as brawny as Chicago, as warm as Palm Springs, as friendly as my adopted home town of Dallas, Fort Worth, and as peaceful as the inland waterway that rubs up against my former home in Virginia Beach.
- There isn’t a single human characteristic that can be safely labeled as American.
- It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss it.
- My parents were neither very poor nor conspicuously honest.
- Do not undervalue the headache. While it is at its sharpest it seems a bad investment; but when relief begins, the unexpired remainder is worth $4 a minute.
- Obscurity and competence: That is the life that is worth living.