America, where people do not inquire of a stranger, What is he? But What can he do?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- America is a willingness of the heart.
- France was a land, England was a people, but America, having about it still that quality of the idea, was harder to utter — it was the graves at Shiloh and the tired, drawn, nervous faces of its great men, and the country boys dying in the Argonne for a phrase that was empty before their bodies withered. It was a willingness of the heart.
- On Thanksgiving Day, all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment — half- time.
- Americans see history as a straight line and themselves standing at the cutting edge of it as representatives for all mankind. They believe in the future as if it were a religion; they believe that there is nothing they cannot accomplish, that solutions wait somewhere for all problems, like brides.
- American is a very difficult language mixed with English.
- There are no second acts in American lives.