The intellectual man requires a fine bait; the sots are easily amused. But everybody is drugged with his own frenzy, and the pageant marches at all hours, with music and banner and badge.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Property is an intellectual production. The game requires coolness, right reasoning, promptness, and patience in the players.
- Repose and cheerfulness are the badge of the gentleman — repose in energy.
- Art is a jealous mistress; and if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture or philosophy, he makes a bad husband and an ill provider.
- To a man of pleasure every moment appears to be lost, which partakes not of the vivacity of amusement.
- A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face; it gives a higher pleasure than statues or pictures; it is the finest of the fine arts.
- The perception of the comic is a tie of sympathy with other men, a pledge of sanity, and a protection from those perverse tendencies and gloomy insanities in which fine intellects sometimes lose themselves. A rogue alive to the ludicrous is still convertible. If that sense is lost, his fellow-men can do little for him.