Englishmen hate Liberty and Equality too much to understand them. But every Englishman loves a pedigree.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The fickleness of the women I love is only equaled by the infernal constancy of the women who love me.
- That is the whole secret of successful fighting. Get your enemy at a disadvantage; and never, on any account, fight him on equal terms.
- The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that’s the essence of inhumanity.
- The secret of forgiving everything is to understand nothing.
- The great danger of conversion in all ages has been that when the religion of the high mind is offered to the lower mind, the lower mind, feeling its fascination without understanding it, and being incapable of rising to it, drags it down to its level by degrading it.
- Love is a gross exaggeration of the difference between one person and everybody else.