New arts destroy the old.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Art is the path of the creator to his work.
- Each work of art excludes the world, concentrates attention on itself. For the time it is the only thing worth doing –to do just that; be it a sonnet, a statue, a landscape, an outline head of Caesar, or an oration. Presently we return to the sight of another that globes itself into a whole as did the first, for example, a beautiful garden; and nothing seems worth doing in life but laying out a garden.
- Artists must be sacrificed to their art.
- Classic art was the art of necessity: modern romantic art bears the stamp of caprice and chance.
- Art is a jealous mistress; and if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture or philosophy, he makes a bad husband and an ill provider.
- The arts and inventions of each period are only its costume, and do not invigorate men.