But the one thing you should. not do is to suppose that when something is wrong with the arts, it is wrong with the arts ONLY.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Good art however immoral is wholly a thing of virtue. Good art can NOT be immoral. By good art I mean art that bears true witness, I mean the art that is most precise.
- Humanity is the rich effluvium, it is the waste and the manure and the soil, and from it grows the tree of the arts.
- Gloom and solemnity are entirely out of place in even the most rigorous study of an art originally intended to make glad the heart of man.
- Religion, oh, just another of those numerous failures resulting from an attempt to popularize art.
- If a patron buys from an artist who needs money (needs money to buy tools, time, food), the patron then makes himself equal to the artist; he is building art into the world; he creates.
- It ought to be illegal for an artist to marry. If the artist must marry let him find someone more interested in art, or his art, or the artist part of him, than in him. After which let them take tea together three times a week.