Art, like Nature, has her monsters, things of bestial shape and with hideous voices.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- In a very ugly and sensible age, the arts borrow, not from life, but from each other.
- Bad art is a great deal worse than no art at all.
- All art is quite useless.
- No great artist ever sees things as they really are, if he did he would cease to be an artist.
- Bad artists always admire each other’s work. They call it being large-minded and free from prejudice. But a truly great artist cannot conceive of life being shown, or beauty fashioned, under any conditions other than those he has selected.
- Modern pictures are, no doubt, delightful to look at. At least, some of them are. But they are quite impossible to live with; they are too clever, too assertive, too intellectual. Their meaning is too obvious, and their method too clearly defined. One