Anyone who in discussion relies upon authority uses, not his understanding, but rather his memory.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.
- Learning never exhausts the mind.
- Nothing can be love or hated unless it is first known.
- I roamed the countryside searching for answers to things I did not understand. Why thunder lasts longer than that which causes it, and why immediately on its creation the lightning becomes visible to the eye while thunder requires time to travel. How the various circles of water form around the spot which has been struck by a stone and why a bird sustains itself in the air. These questions and other strange phenomena engaged my thought throughout my life.
- Time stays long enough for those who use it.
- Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will be powerless to vex your mind.