In a battle all you need to make you fight is a little hot blood and the knowledge that it’s more dangerous to lose than to win.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Any coward can fight a battle when he’s sure of winning, but give me the man who has pluck to fight when he’s sure of losing. That’s my way, sir; and there are many victories worse than a defeat.
- An election is a moral horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it.
- A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most. On Other Peoples Expectations: The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me.
- That is the whole secret of successful fighting. Get your enemy at a disadvantage; and never, on any account, fight him on equal terms.
- The savage bows down to idols of wood and stone: the civilized man to idols of flesh and blood.
- No man who is occupied in doing a very difficult thing, and doing it very well, ever loses his self-respect.