It is better to be beautiful than to be good, but it is better to be good than to be ugly.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful.
- Beauty is a form of genius — is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.
- The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat.
- Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
- In a very ugly and sensible age, the arts borrow, not from life, but from each other.
- There is something terribly morbid in the modern sympathy with pain. One should sympathize with the color, the beauty, the joy of life. The less said about life’s sores the better.