There is properly no history; only biography.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Great geniuses have the shortest biographies.
- It is long ere we discover how rich we are. Our history, we are sure, is quite tame: we have nothing to write, nothing to infer. But our wiser years still run back to the despised recollections of childhood, and always we are fishing up some wonderful article out of that pond; until, by and by, we begin to suspect that the biography of the one foolish person we know is, in reality, nothing less than the miniature paraphrase of the hundred volumes of the Universal History.
- History is the essence of innumerable biographies.
- Read no history: nothing but biography, for that is life without theory.
- Biography is history seen through the prism of a person.
- Biography is a very definite region bounded on the north by history, on the south by fiction, on the east by obituary, and on the west by tedium.