Men show their character in nothing more clearly than what they think laughable.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Character is formed in the stormy billows of the world.
- Talents are best nurtured in solitude. Character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world.
- Character develops itself in the stream of life.
- Behavior is the mirror in which everyone shows their image
- Taste is only to be educated by contemplation, not of the tolerably good but of the truly excellent. I therefore show you only the best works; and when you are grounded in these, you will have a standard for the rest, which you will know how to value, without overrating them.
- The world is for thousands a freak show; the images flicker past and vanish; the impressions remain flat and unconnected in the soul. Thus they are easily led by the opinions of others, are content to let their impressions be shuffled and rearranged and evaluated differently.