To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won t.
- Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.
- There are two times in a man’s life when he should not speculate: when he can’t afford it, and when he can.
- A lie can run around the world six times while the truth is still trying to put on its pants.
- Nations do not think, they only feel. They get their feelings at second hand through their temperaments, not their brains. A nation can be brought — by force of circumstances, not argument — to reconcile itself to any kind of government or religion that can be devised; in time it will fit itself to the required conditions; later it will prefer them and will fiercely fight for them.
- A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time.