To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won t.
- There are two times in a man’s life when he should not speculate: when he can’t afford it, and when he can.
- Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.
- The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.
- To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did, I ought to know because I’ve done it a thousand times.
- Stars are good too. I wish I could get some to put in my hair. But I suppose I never can. You would be surprised to find how far off they are, for they do not look it. When they first showed last night I tried to knock some down with a pole, but it didn’t reach, which astonished me. Then I tried clods till I was all tired out, but I never got one. I did make some close shots, for I saw the black blot of the clod sail right into thee midst of the golden clusters forty or fifty times, just barely missing them, and if I could’ve held out a little longer, maybe I could’ve got one.