What is wrong with priests and popes is that instead of being apostles and saints, they are nothing but empirics who say I know instead of I am learning, and pray for credulity and inertia as wise men pray for skepticism and activity.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Leisure may be defined as free activity, labor as compulsory activity. Leisure does what it likes, labor does what it must, the compulsion being that of Nature, which in these latitudes leaves men no choice between labor and starvation.
- Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience.
- Here there is no hope, and consequently no duty, no work, nothing to be gained by praying, nothing to be lost by doing what you like. Hell, in short, is a place where you have nothing to do but amuse yourself.
- Common people do not pray; they only beg.
- If there was nothing wrong in the world there wouldn’t be anything for us to do.
- You don’t learn to hold your own in the world by standing on guard, but by attacking and getting well hammered yourself.