For us in Russia communism is a dead dog. For many people in the West, it is still a living lion.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- It is time in the West to defend not so much human rights as human obligations.
- One should never direct people towards happiness, because happiness too is an idol of the market-place. One should direct them towards mutual affection. A beast gnawing at its prey can be happy too, but only human beings can feel affection for each other, and this is the highest achievement they can aspire to.
- You only have power over people so long as you don’t take everything away from them. But when you’ve robbed a man of everything he’s no longer in your power — he’s free again.
- I am of course confident that I will fulfill my tasks as a writer in all circumstances — from my grave even more successfully and more irrefutably than in my lifetime. No one can bar the road to truth, and to advance its cause I am prepared to accept even death. But may it be that repeated lessons will finally teach us not to stop the writer’s pen during his lifetime? At no time has this ennobled our history.
- A man is happy so long as he chooses to be happy and nothing can stop him.
- For a country to have a great writer is like having another government. That’s why no r?gime has ever loved great writers, only minor ones.