Noise proves nothing, Often a hen who has laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I think a compliment ought to always precede a complaint, where one is possible, because it softens resentment and insures for the complaint a courteous and gentle reception.
- Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket.
- The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot.
- The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.
- Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.
- An average English word is four letters and a half. By hard, honest labor I’ve dug all the large words out of my vocabulary and shaved it down till the average is three and a half… I never write metropolis for seven cents, because I can get the same money for city. I never write policeman, because I can get the same price for cop…. I never write valetudinarian at all, for not even hunger and wretchedness can humble me to the point where I will do a word like that for seven cents; I wouldn’t do it for fifteen.