Life cannot subsist in society but by reciprocal concessions.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I am sorry I have not learnt to play at cards. It is very useful in life: it generates kindness, and consolidates society.
- No member of society has the right to teach any doctrine contrary to what society holds to be true.
- If I had no duties, and no reference to futurity, I would spend my life in driving briskly in a post-chaise with a pretty woman.
- Prudence is an attitude that keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy.
- There is nothing so much seduces reason from vigilance as the thought of passing life with an amiable woman in marriage.
- He that embarks on the voyage of life will always wish to advance rather by the impulse of the wind than the strokes of the oar; and many fold in their passage; while they lie waiting for the gale.