Life cannot subsist in society but by reciprocal concessions.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I am sorry I have not learnt to play at cards. It is very useful in life: it generates kindness, and consolidates society.
- No member of society has the right to teach any doctrine contrary to what society holds to be true.
- Once you consent to some concession, you can never cancel it and put things back the way they are.
- Life will not bear refinement. You must do as other people do.
- There is nothing so much seduces reason from vigilance as the thought of passing life with an amiable woman in marriage.
- Surely life, if it be not long, is tedious, since we are forced to call in the assistance of so many trifles to rid us of our time, of that time which never can return.