Solvency is maintained by means of a national debt, on the principle, If you will not lend me the money, how can I pay you?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- It is always so pleasant to be generous, though very vexatious to pay debts.
- A national debt, if it is not excessive, will be to us a national blessing.
- Science does not know its debt to imagination.
- Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. The man who knows how will always have a job. The man who also knows why will always be his boss. As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.
- The value of a principle is the number of things it will explain; and there is no good theory of disease which does not at once suggest a cure.
- It is said that the world is in a state of bankruptcy, that the world owes the world more than the world can pay.