On the other hand, the concept owes its meaning and its justification exclusively to the totality of the sense impressions which we associate with it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Considered logically this concept is not identical with the totality of sense impressions referred to; but it is an arbitrary creation of the human (or animal) mind.
- According to this conception, the sole function of education was to open the way to thinking and knowing, and the school, as the outstanding organ for the people’s education, must serve that end exclusively.
- Out of the multitude of our sense experiences we take, mentally and arbitrarily, certain repeatedly occurring complexes of sense impression (partly in conjunction with sense impressions which are interpreted as signs for sense experiences of others), and we attribute to them a meaning the meaning of the bodily object.
- If one asks the whence derives the authority of fundamental ends, since they cannot be stated and justified merely by reason, one can only answer: they exist in a healthy society as powerful traditions, which act upon the conduct and aspirations and judgments of the individuals; they are there, that is, as something living, without its being necessary to find justification for their existence.
- I believe that the first step in the setting of a real external world is the formation of the concept of bodily objects and of bodily objects of various kinds.
- All these constructions and the laws connecting them can be arrived at by the principle of looking for the mathematically simplest concepts and the link between them.