Remember that when you meet your antagonist, to do everything in a mild agreeable manner. Let your courage be keen, but, at the same time, as polished as your sword.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I open with a clock striking, to beget an awful attention in the audience — it also marks the time, which is four o clock in the morning, and saves a description of the rising sun, and a great deal about gilding the eastern hemisphere.
- There is nothing on earth so easy as to forget, if a person chooses to set about it. I’m sure I have as much forgot your poor, dear uncle, as if he had never existed; and I thought it my duty to do so.
- Take care; you know I am compliance itself, when I am not thwarted! No one more easily led, when I have my own way; but don’t put me in a frenzy.
- ‘Tis safest in matrimony to begin with a little aversion.
- Modesty is a quality in a lover more praised by the women than liked.
- Madam, a circulating library in a town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge; it blossoms through the year. And depend on it that they who are so fond of handling the leaves, will long for the fruit at last.