I do not know which makes a man more conservative — to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The importance of money flows from it being a link between the present and the future.
- It is better that a man should tyrannize over his bank balance than over his fellow-citizens and whilst the former is sometimes denounced as being but a means to the latter, sometimes at least it is an alternative.
- Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought on the unthinking.
- A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind.
- The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.
- For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to every one that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still.