Conversation is an art in which a man has all mankind for competitors.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- All mankind loves a lover.
- A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face; it gives a higher pleasure than statues or pictures; it is the finest of the fine arts.
- Conversation. What is it? A Mystery! It’s the art of never seeming bored, of touching everything with interest, of pleasing with trifles, of being fascinating with nothing at all. How do we define this lively darting about with words, of hitting them back and forth, this sort of brief smile of ideas which should be conversation?
- Let a man then know his worth, and keep things under his feet. Let him not peep or steal, or skulk up and down with the air of a charity-boy, a bastard, or an interloper.
- A man’s wife has more power over him than the state has.
- We must be as courteous to a man as we are to a picture, which we are willing to give the advantage of a good light.