The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- What we call education and culture is for the most part nothing but the substitution of reading for experience, of literature for life, of the obsolete fictitious for the contemporary real.
- When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to murder him he calls it ferocity.
- Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
- I talk democracy to these men and women. I tell them that they have the vote, and that theirs is the kingdom and the power and the glory. I say to them You are supreme: exercise your power. They say, That’s right: tell us what to do; and I tell them. I say Exercise our vote intelligently by voting for me. And they do. That’s democracy; and a splendid thing it is too for putting the right men in the right place.
- It is a curious sensation: the sort of pain that goes mercifully beyond our powers of feeling. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters any more. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace.
- She has lost the art of conversation, but not, unfortunately, the power of speech.