Fear of death has been the greatest ally of tyranny past and present.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know?
- Know one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good.
- Men fear death, as if unquestionably the greatest evil, and yet no man knows that it may not be the greatest good.
- Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.
- Death is the last enemy: once we’ve got past that I think everything will be alright.
- We need not fear life, because God is the Ruler of all and we need not fear death, because He shares immortality with us.