There will be no lasting peace either in the heart of individuals or in social customs until death is outlawed.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Men are convinced of your arguments, your sincerity, and the seriousness of your efforts only by your death.
- Men are never really willing to die except for the sake of freedom: therefore they do not believe in dying completely.
- Without freedom, no art; art lives only on the restraints it imposes on itself, and dies of all others. But without freedom, no socialism either, except the socialism of the gallows.
- The only conception of freedom I can have is that of the prisoner or the individual in the midst of the State. The only one I know is freedom of thought and action.
- More and more, when faced with the world of men, the only reaction is one of individualism. Man alone is an end unto himself. Everything one tries to do for the common good ends in failure.
- The rebel can never find peace. He knows what is good and, despite himself, does evil. The value which supports him is never given to him once and for all — he must fight to uphold it, unceasingly.