As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
- Our life is made by the death of others.
- Just as courage imperils life; fear protects it.
- I roamed the countryside searching for answers to things I did not understand. Why thunder lasts longer than that which causes it, and why immediately on its creation the lightning becomes visible to the eye while thunder requires time to travel. How the various circles of water form around the spot which has been struck by a stone and why a bird sustains itself in the air. These questions and other strange phenomena engaged my thought throughout my life.
- A good painter is to paint two main things, men and the working of man’s mind.
- Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will be powerless to vex your mind.