He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
- When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute — then it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity!
- The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mysterious. It is the power of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms — this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong to the rank of devoutly religious men.
- A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
- It stands to the everlasting credit of science that by acting on the human mind it has overcome man’s insecurity before himself and before nature.
- Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.