Sir, he was dull in company, dull in his closet, dull everywhere. He was dull in a new way, and that made many people think him great.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- What provokes your risibility, Sir? Have I said anything that you understand? Then I ask pardon of the rest of the company.
- Sir, a man may be so much of everything, that he is nothing of anything.
- Sir, I do not call a gamester a dishonest man; but I call him an unsociable man, an unprofitable man. Gaming is a mode of transferring property without producing any intermediate good.
- Ah! Sir, a boy’s being flogged is not so severe as a man’s having the hiss of the world against him.
- Sir, a man who cannot get to heaven in a green coat, will not find his way thither the sooner in a gray one.
- Sir, that all who are happy, are equally happy, is not true. A peasant and a philosopher may be equally satisfied, but not equally happy. Happiness consists in the multiplicity of agreeable consciousness.