The first duty of life is to be as artificial as possible. What the second duty is no one as yet discovered.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Oh, duty is what one expects from others, it is not what one does oneself.
- Woman’s first duty in life is to her dressmaker. What the second duty is no one has yet discovered.
- Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one’s mistakes.
- It was a fatal day when the public discovered that the pen is mightier than the paving-stone, and can be made as offensive as the brickbat. They at once sought for the journalist, found him, developed him, and made him their industrious and well-paid servant. It is greatly to be regretted, for both their sakes.
- America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up.
- What between the duties expected of one during one’s lifetime, and the duties exacted from one after one’s death, land has ceased to be either a profit or a pleasure. It gives one position, and prevents one from keeping it up. That’s all that can be said about land.