The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with scientific laws. Their origin is pure vanity. Their result is absolutely nil. They give us, now and then, some of those luxurious sterile emotions that have a certain charm for the weak. They a
- A sentimentalist is simply one who desires to have the luxury of an emotion without paying for it.
- There is always something ridiculous about the emotions of people whom one has ceased to love.
- There is no such thing as morality or immorality in thought. There is immoral emotion.
- The true critic is he who bears within himself the dreams and ideas and feelings of myriad generations, and to whom no form of thought is alien, no emotional impulse obscure.
- People who love only once in their lives are shallow people. What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either the lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination. Faithfulness is to the emotional life what consistency is to the life of the intellect — simply a confession of failures.