The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There is no such thing as morality or immorality in thought. There is immoral emotion.
- A sentimentalist is simply one who desires to have the luxury of an emotion without paying for it.
- People who love only once in their lives are shallow people. What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either the lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination. Faithfulness is to the emotional life what consistency is to the life of the intellect — simply a confession of failures.
- There is always something ridiculous about the emotions of people whom one has ceased to love.
- The true critic is he who bears within himself the dreams and ideas and feelings of myriad generations, and to whom no form of thought is alien, no emotional impulse obscure.
- Good taste is the excuse I have given for leading such a bad life.