No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- It often happens that the real tragedies of life occur in such an inartistic manner that they hurt us by their crude violence, their absolute incoherence, their absurd want of meaning, their entire lack of style.
- While one should always study the method of a great artist, one should never imitate his manner. The manner of an artist is essentially individual, the method of an artist is absolutely universal. The first is personality, which no one should copy; the second is perfection, which all should aim at.
- The modern sympathy with invalids is morbid. Illness of any kind is hardly a thing to be encouraged in others.
- Sympathy with joy intensifies the sum of sympathy in the world, sympathy with pain does not really diminish the amount of pain.
- His style is chaos illumined by flashes of lightning. As a writer he has mastered everything except language.
- The past is of no importance. The present is of no importance. It is with the future that we have to deal. For the past is what man should not have been. The present is what man ought not to be. The future is what artists are.