If you must hold yourself up to your children as an object lesson, hold yourself up as a warning and not an example.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself.
- Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
- Don’t order any black things. Rejoice in his memory; and be radiant: leave grief to the children. Wear violet and purple. Be patient with the poor people who will snivel: they don’t know; and they think they will live for ever, which makes death a division instead of a bond.
- You don’t learn to hold your own in the world by standing on guard, but by attacking and getting well hammered yourself.
- Physically there is nothing to distinguish human society from the farm-yard except that children are more troublesome and costly than chickens and calves and that men and women are not so completely enslaved as farm stock.
- We must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy.