If you must hold yourself up to your children as an object lesson, hold yourself up as a warning and not an example.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself.
- Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
- Youth is such a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children.
- Don’t order any black things. Rejoice in his memory; and be radiant: leave grief to the children. Wear violet and purple. Be patient with the poor people who will snivel: they don’t know; and they think they will live for ever, which makes death a division instead of a bond.
- This comes of James teaching me to think for myself, and never to hold back out of fear of what other people may think of me. It works beautifully as long as I think the same things as he does.
- You don’t learn to hold your own in the world by standing on guard, but by attacking and getting well hammered yourself.