Being is the great explainer.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book! The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered.
- We know but a few men, a great many coats and breeches.
- I have a great deal of company in my house; especially in the morning, when nobody calls.
- The success of great scholars and thinkers is commonly a courtier-like success, not kingly, not manly.
- In the midst of this chopping sea of civilized life, such are the clouds and storms and quicksands and thousand-and-one items to be allowed for, that a man has to live, if he would not founder and go to the bottom and not make his port at all, by dead reckoning, and he must be a great calculator indeed who succeeds.
- There’s a time when you have to explain to your children why they’re born, and it’s a marvelous thing if you know the reason by then.