No man can be a pure specialist without being in the strict sense an idiot.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Between persons of equal income there is no social distinction except the distinction of merit. Money is nothing: character, conduct, and capacity are everything. There would be great people and ordinary people and little people, but the great would always be those who had done great things, and never the idiots whose mothers had spoiled them and whose fathers had left them a hundred thousand a year; and the little would be persons of small minds and mean characters, and not poor persons who had never had a chance. That is why idiots are always in favor of inequality of income (their only chance of eminence), and the really great in favor of equality.
- A man of great common sense and good taste — meaning thereby a man without originality or moral courage.
- Do not be bullied out of your common sense by the specialist; two to one, he is a pedant.
- A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.
- Nothing makes a man so selfish as work.
- The test of a man or woman’s breeding is how they behave in a quarrel.