As to the rout that is made about people who are ruined by extravagance, it is no matter to the nation that some individuals suffer. When so much general productive exertion is the consequence of luxury, the nation does not care though there are debtors; nay, they would not care though their creditors were there too.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The return of my birthday, if I remember it, fills me with thoughts which it seems to be the general care of humanity to escape.
- Nay, Madam, when you are declaiming, declaim; and when you are calculating, calculate.
- Sir, he was dull in company, dull in his closet, dull everywhere. He was dull in a new way, and that made many people think him great.
- Solitude is dangerous to reason, without being favorable to virtue. Remember that the solitary mortal is certainly luxurious, probably superstitious, and possibly mad.
- Fear is implanted in us as a preservative from evil; but its duty, like that of other passions, is not to overbear reason, but to assist it. It should not be suffered to tyrannize
- It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.